2006 is gone. The .30'06 cartridge turned 100 years old. Amazingly, it is still relevant to today's shooters. It was a huge leap over cartridges 10 to 20 years older. A lot of new cartridges have come, some haven't stayed. There are cartridges that surpass it in performance, but that comes with more blast and recoil. It is still the most popular rifle cartridge in the US.
2006 wasn't a bad year. Mrs. Giraffe and I got sort of disciplined with our money, retired a lot of debt. Should be completed out of debt except the mortgage in a month. We still have a ways to go with the discipline. We start Financial Peace University tonight through church. That should help.
Some things I've thought about in the last year:
1. The US may be the best place in the world to live, but this too shall pass. Democracy lasts till people realize they can vote themselves bread and circuses, then it collapses. Republicans no longer argue over whether a program should exist, just how big it should be. Both parties now try beat each other to the punch on providing the latest form of bloated big government programs. For the children. Cause bringing home the bacon gets you re-elected.
2. Stupid people get to vote. I've always known that, just didn't realize how many stupid people there are. People voting themselves into bondage.
3. Republicans aren't always your friend.
4. We are so complacent. Fatted calves for the slaughter. We are a nation of apathetic imbeciles. Our children are so far behind the children from other countries and we worry about bookbags being too heavy. A people needs a little adversity once in a while and we haven't had any. I mean the kind that requires a little personal sacrifice. Because it builds character. Problem is, our nation decided character doesn't matter. I'd hate to find out how metrosexuals fight if the red chinese come knocking.
5. We are becoming less and less a Christian nation. My own state voted down an abortion ban. Lately, the papers say it is not coming back. As we become less Christian, people will lose the Christian morality. Because there is no such thing as morality apart from religion.
6. Liberals may not propegate as much by sexual reproduction, as they abort a higher percentage of their young. Instead, they infect others minds. And they own the schools.
7. Losing weight isn't as easy as it might seem. It requires a change in lifestyle. That is hard. I'll give it a shot this year anyway. I'll start next week.
Maybe I'm just bummed today. I sound so pessimistic.